Non-Registered Tradesmen and Tradeswomen Insurance

Insurance Cover for Non-Registered Tradesmen and Tradeswomen
Across a Wide Range of Trades

Icon images 570x375_Other Contractors.png

The Right Tools for the Job

As a tradesman or tradeswoman you’ll need the right tools for the job, including appropriate insurance in your toolbox.

At NICEIC and ELECSA Insurance Services, we arrange insurance cover for a wide variety of trades including air conditioning and ventilation contractors, insulation contractors, and glazing contractors.

Even if you’re not a NICEIC or ELECSA registered contractor you can still rely on our advice, support, and guidance – to help you find the right insurance for you – including the important tradespersons liability cover you need.

Our Tradespeople Insurance Solution

Why waste your precious time searching the various online comparison sites and direct insurers for suitable, affordable insurance? Let us help you get what you need quickly and easily.

As an insurance broker, we’ll ask you some straightforward questions about you and your business to simply assess your requirements. Then we’ll search for appropriate cover from the range of insurance solutions we’ve access to – including insurance from UK based leading insurers and specialist insurance providers.

We Offer the Following*1&2

  • Public liability cover limits – £1 million, £2 million or £5 million available.

  • Employers liability cover of £10 million.


  • Cover for loss or damage to tools and office equipment.

  • Goods in transit.

  • Cover for contract works.

  • Cover for your own plant and hired in plant.

  • Cover for temporary employees up to 50 days per year.

  • Free 24 hour business legal helpline.

The Power Behind Your Business

NICEIC and ELECA Insurance Services has the power to  help protect you and your business. This should leave you to focus your attention on the job in hand and looking after your customers, safe in the knowledge you are adequately protected.

We’ve been working with tradesmen and tradeswomen from across the spectrum of trades for many years – protecting livelihoods by helping our customers find the right tradesperson insurance for them.

The insurance is flexible, so in addition to the important liability insurance protection, you can add other optional cover features such as tools cover and personal accident. The insurance also covers a range of circumstances – from domestic, commercial, and industrial jobs – across Great Britain, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, and Northern Ireland. Also, if your work requires you to undertake temporary work in the EU, this is also covered as standard.


Commercial Vehicle

Why Choose Us?

NICEIC and ELECSA Insurance Services is part of Marsh Commercial, an award winning expert in insurance and risk management. We currently provide more than 35,000 business insurance policies for over 21,000 customers across the UK, so it’s safe to say we have the experience and expertise to help our business insurance customers obtain the cover they’re after, at the right price..

With over 15 years of experience we’re well qualified to help you find the insurance you need, without having to spend an onerous amount of time searching for it yourself. We’ll do all the handiwork this time to save you time and effort, so you can focus on running your business.

Working with us gives you easy access to a range of UK based insurers and specialist insurance providers, which should provide you with a range of options to choose from – and you’ll get advice and support to help make sure you select the level of protection you need. What’s more, should the worst happen and you need to claim you’ll get a dedicated claims advocacy service should you need it.

Filter by:

Related FAQs

See all FAQs

What is Business Insurance?

Business insurance is designed to protect businesses when they suffer losses while carrying out their usual activities, and is particularly important if a business finds itself facing a claim for compensation. Specific business insurance cover features may include employers liability insurance, public liability insurance, and professional indemnity insurance.

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business if negligence on your part causes injury to a third party or damage to their property. It covers the cost of compensation, damages, and any legal costs incurred by third parties in making a successful legal claim against you. As an example, if you installed some wiring that later caused a fire which damaged or destroyed a building, and it was later deemed that you were negligent, your contractors public liability insurance would pay the costs and compensation – up to the maximum level of cover (or limit of indemnity) indicated on your policy.

Do I Need Public Liability Insurance?

There’s no legal requirement to have public liability insurance in place, so it’s up to you to decide if you need it – though we’d recommend getting expert advice before deciding not to take it out. It’s fair to say that many businesses that interact with the general public – including tradesmen of most types – will typically take out public liability insurance.

How Much Public Liability Insurance do I Need?

The level of protection you take out depends on the type of risks you face. It’s really an individual decision based on the nature of each business – though it’s worth finding out what level of cover potential clients expect you to have. There may be a minimum requirement of cover required depending on the nature of the job – for example if it’s a commercial contract for a council they may require a higher level of cover compared to a domestic job. We offer public liability cover ranging from £1 million up to £10 million, depending on the insurer.

What is the Difference Between Public Liability and Employers Liability?

They are very different policies. In essence, employers liability protects against death or injury to employees whilst at work, while public liability protects against death or injury and damage to property, affecting everyone apart from employees, and which comes about as a result of your work.

What is Employers Liability Insurance?

Employers liability insurance protects you in the event you are held legally liable for accidental death or injury of your employees at work or in connection with your business. It also covers legal costs incurred by employees in making successful legal claims against you.

Do I Need Employers Liability Insurance?

There are some exceptions, but if your business has at least one employee then the likelihood is you will need employers liability insurance. That’s because The Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Regulations 1998, made employers liability insurance cover of at least £5 million compulsory for any individual or company with employees. The exceptions include: - Limited companies where the owner is the only employee, and owns 50% or more of the issued shares. - Businesses that are not limited companies and only employ close family members

What is an Employee?

An employee is someone who works part-time or full-time under an employment contract.

Do I Need Employers Liability Insurance if I Use Temporary Workers?

Yes, the requirement for employers liability insurance extends to businesses using temporary or casual workers that are employed on a short-term contract and ad-hoc basis – whether they are clerical or manual workers.

Do I Need Employers Liability Insurance if I Use Sub-contractors?

That depends on whether you use “labour-only” or what’s known as “Bona Fide” sub-contractors. You’ll need employers liability insurance if you use labour-only sub-contractors – but Bona Fide sub-contractors are not treated as employees for insurance purposes.

*1 Cover may differ dependent upon insurer.

*2 As with most insurance – terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. You can request full details by simply contacting us.


Related News

Is your business prepared for the Coronavirus?

13th March 2020

Apologies if you haven’t been able to get through to our phone lines due to increased call volumes. Please bear with us and we will answer your calls…

The Rise of Electric Vehicle Charging Point Use

5th March 2020

The demand to install EVCPs represents a huge opportunity for skilled, qualified electricians to embrace. Now is the time to embrace this…

Electrical contractors near me? Help local customers find your business online

27th February 2020

You need to ensure that when your potential customers are searching for an electrical contractor, you are doing everything you can to help them find…

Starting an Electrical Business

19th December 2019

Are you an experienced, qualified electrician? The idea of being your own boss can be pretty appealing. Read our guide on starting your own business.