Personal Accident and Short Term Income Protection Insurance

Get Affordable Insurance Cover Designed to Help Protect You Financially if You Suffer an Accident or are Unable to Work Due to Illness or Injury.

Request a callback 01133960346

Insurance to Protect Your Finances

If you were to suffer a serious accident, or were unable to work due to injury or illness, how would you cover your monthly bills – from mortgage payments to groceries?

That is what personal accident and short term income protection insurance is for; to pay a lump sum or help replace monthly income and keep the red bills at bay if the worst should happen.

It’s not just about injuries at work either. A back injury on the golf course, a DIY injury at home, a serious football injury or a nasty illness like pneumonia? You can cover all these eventualities quickly and easily, to protect your income from the unexpected.

Our Personal Accident and Short Term Income Protection Insurance Cover

We’ve built on a ten-year track record in providing insurance for contractors – working with specialist insurer, Covéa, to develop two levels of cover designed to pay out a lump sum if you suffer an accident, or protect your income for up to 12 months1

This important protection can be added on to your existing contractors cover with us – for as little as £12 per month plus insurance premium tax (IPT) for personal accident alone, or £52.80 per month plus IPT for combined personal accident and short term income protection cover.

For more information on the levels of cover provided under short term income protection and personal accident please call us. However, you can read a summary of the key features of personal accident cover by scrolling down.

Please note this protection is an optional upgrade to electrical contractors cover with us – therefore for new customers please request this when obtaining a new quotation. However, if you are an existing customer, please call us to add this on.


The Power Behind Your Business

NICEIC and ELECA Insurance Services has the power to help protect your business and provides you with peace of mind, so you can focus on looking after your customers.

By working with specialist insurer, Covéa, we’ve developed an insurance solution for electrical contractors that’s comprehensive, flexible and affordable. The essential liability cover features of public liability and professional indemnity that you need are included as standard. In addition, your insurance can be extended to include a range of optional extras such as employers liability and tools cover, to deliver personalised insurance protection to suit your individual circumstances.

Cover is available for electrical contractors working on most domestic, commercial and industrial premises anywhere in Great Britain, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, and Northern Ireland – and temporary work anywhere in the EU is covered as standard too. 

Request a callback 01133960346

Personal accident/death cover as an extension to the contractors policy

Benefits - Level 1

Benefits - Level 2

Accidental death



Permanent total disability









Permanent loss of sight in both eyes



Permanent loss of sight in one eye



Permanent loss of use of one limb



Permanent loss of speech



Permanent loss of hearing in both ears



Permanent loss of hearing in one ear






Hospitalisation (maximum 45 days and after a minimum of 24 hours)

Extended hospitalisation (for stays longer than 14 days)







A major fracture of;

Upper leg; vertebral body; pelvis; skull


Lower leg hand/foot









Dislocation of;

Spine back hip

Knee, ankle shoulder

Any other joint











Commercial Vehicle

Filter by:

Related FAQs

See all FAQs

What is Business Insurance?

Business insurance is designed to protect businesses when they suffer losses while carrying out their usual activities, and is particularly important if a business finds itself facing a claim for compensation. Specific business insurance cover features may include employers liability insurance, public liability insurance, and professional indemnity insurance.

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public liability insurance is designed to protect your business if negligence on your part causes injury to a third party or damage to their property. It covers the cost of compensation, damages, and any legal costs incurred by third parties in making a successful legal claim against you. As an example, if you installed some wiring that later caused a fire which damaged or destroyed a building, and it was later deemed that you were negligent, your contractors public liability insurance would pay the costs and compensation – up to the maximum level of cover (or limit of indemnity) indicated on your policy.

Do I Need Public Liability Insurance?

There’s no legal requirement to have public liability insurance in place, so it’s up to you to decide if you need it – though we’d recommend getting expert advice before deciding not to take it out. It’s fair to say that many businesses that interact with the general public – including tradesmen of most types – will typically take out public liability insurance.

How Much Public Liability Insurance do I Need?

The level of protection you take out depends on the type of risks you face. It’s really an individual decision based on the nature of each business – though it’s worth finding out what level of cover potential clients expect you to have. There may be a minimum requirement of cover required depending on the nature of the job – for example if it’s a commercial contract for a council they may require a higher level of cover compared to a domestic job. We offer public liability cover ranging from £1 million up to £10 million, depending on the insurer.

What is the Difference Between Public Liability and Employers Liability?

They are very different policies. In essence, employers liability protects against death or injury to employees whilst at work, while public liability protects against death or injury and damage to property, affecting everyone apart from employees, and which comes about as a result of your work.

What is Employers Liability Insurance?

Employers liability insurance protects you in the event you are held legally liable for accidental death or injury of your employees at work or in connection with your business. It also covers legal costs incurred by employees in making successful legal claims against you.

Do I Need Employers Liability Insurance?

There are some exceptions, but if your business has at least one employee then the likelihood is you will need employers liability insurance. That’s because The Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Regulations 1998, made employers liability insurance cover of at least £5 million compulsory for any individual or company with employees. The exceptions include: - Limited companies where the owner is the only employee, and owns 50% or more of the issued shares. - Businesses that are not limited companies and only employ close family members

What is an Employee?

An employee is someone who works part-time or full-time under an employment contract.

Do I Need Employers Liability Insurance if I Use Temporary Workers?

Yes, the requirement for employers liability insurance extends to businesses using temporary or casual workers that are employed on a short-term contract and ad-hoc basis – whether they are clerical or manual workers.

Do I Need Employers Liability Insurance if I Use Sub-contractors?

That depends on whether you use “labour-only” or what’s known as “Bona Fide” sub-contractors. You’ll need employers liability insurance if you use labour-only sub-contractors – but Bona Fide sub-contractors are not treated as employees for insurance purposes.

* As with most insurance – terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. You can request full details by simply contacting us.

[1] In order for cover to be valid, you must be off work for at least the qualification period and be signed off work by a doctor

What our customers say

Saved me loads of money, what else can I say?
5 star service, highly recommended.
Quick, professional and cheap!!! Now I am secured – liability, indemnity, legal cost, employer insurance – fully insured. I can sleep well.
Related News

Working During the Pandemic - What You Need to Know About Insurance

2nd July 2020

View the webinar hosted by Darren Staniforth, Senior Group Technical Presenter, with guest speakers from NICEIC and ELECSA Insurance Services.

Why it’s Important to Maintain Your Contractors Insurance During Lockdown

9th June 2020

Whether you’re continuing to work or not, maintaining your contractors insurance cover is as important as ever, rather than taking the risk and…

Is your business prepared for the Coronavirus?

13th March 2020

Apologies if you haven’t been able to get through to our phone lines. We will return your call asap, alternatively please email us at…

The Rise of Electric Vehicle Charging Point Use

5th March 2020

The demand to install EVCPs represents a huge opportunity for skilled, qualified electricians to embrace. Now is the time to embrace this…