Tool Insurance for Contractors

Affordable, high quality Contractors’ Tool Insurance
and Tradesman Tool Insurance

Get a quote 01133960346
Icon images 570x375_My Profile.png


Tool Insurance Protection

During the day, you’re more likely to be relaxed about the security of your tools. You’ll trust that the security of the site you’re working on is effective and you also might be working closely to your vehicle, continuously returning to it as you work. Naturally, theft might be the last thing on your mind.

However, if you leave your tools unattended while working on site or in a work vehicle overnight your standard contractors’ insurance or tradesman insurance policy might not cover you for theft. So, it’s worth checking if you’re covered whether your tools are kept in a vehicle or on-site.

Keep a Tool Inventory

You may have quite a collection of tools that you’ve built up throughout your working life, and you may not know how much it is all actually worth. Keep an inventory of your tools and equipment, including documents that show your ownership (receipts), calibration certificates, and serial numbers. This means that if you do suffer a loss, the cost can be calculated accurately. For older tools, you may also want to keep photographs.

Business Vehicle Insurance

Your tool insurance policy is able to cover the cost of your tools and equipment, but your business vehicle insurance will be separate. You’ll need separate cover to protect against vehicle theft. You can review our Business Vehicle Insurance solution here.

Our Tool Insurance Cover

As well as tradesman tool insurance cover we also offer the following tradesman insurance covers:

We Offer as Standard*

  • Cover for loss or damage to tools and office equipment.

  • Public liability cover limits – £1 million, £2 million, £5 million, or £10 million available.

  • Goods in transit.

  • Cover for contract works.

  • Cover for your own plant and hired in plant.

  • Cover for temporary employees up to 50 days per year.

  • Free 24 hour business legal helpline.

The Power Behind Your Business

NICEIC Insurance has the power to help protect your tools and provides you with peace of mind, so you can focus on doing your job.

The essential insurance for work tools can be extended to include a range of optional extras, such as employers’ liability cover of £10 million, to deliver personalised tool insurance protection to suit your individual circumstances.

Get a quote 01133960346

Why Choose Us?

NICEIC Insurance is part of Marsh Commercial, an award-winning expert in insurance and risk management. We currently provide more than 35,000 business insurance policies for over 21,000 customers across the UK, so it’s safe to say we have the experience and expertise to help our business insurance customers obtain the cover they’re after, at the right price.

We’ve the experience and expertise to help you find the insurance you’re looking for. We’re part of a global insurance broker, so we employ the size and scale of our business to help negotiate with insurers the best possible price and cover we can, for the benefit of our customers.

Rest assured, we’re here to support you during the lifetime of your insurance – from setting up the cover, right the way through to renewal, and importantly we provide a professional claims advocacy service to look after you every step of the way in the event of a claim.

Related FAQs

See all FAQs

What is Tools Cover?

Tools cover provides insurance against the theft or loss of tools you use in conjunction with your business – depending on the covers you select, tools cover can include theft from an unattended vehicle.

What if I leave my tools on site?

Insurers usually expect you to take reasonable precautions to protect your tools and other property from theft or damage. That said, if any tools left on site are secured, for instance, left in a locked building where access is controlled through limited key holders, then your tools may be covered. If you do plan to leave tools on-site, it would be worth checking with us to make sure they're covered.

I work in more than one trade. Can you cover this?

Yes, we offer cover for both primary and secondary trades. So, if you work mainly in one trade – for instance, as an electrician – select this as your primary, or main trade. Then, if you also work on occasion as a plumber, for example, you should choose this as your secondary trade.

What is Personal Accident Insurance?

Personal accident insurance provides compensation when you, or anybody insured under the policy, is seriously injured or dies in an accident, whether at work or not.

Does my electrician's cover include cover for my tools?

You can easily add tools cover to your contractors policy, up to £1,500 per person, and further extend that cover to include theft from unattended vehicles – just give us a call; we're happy to help.

*Cover may differ dependent upon insurer and terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. You can request full details by simply contacting us.

Related News

Business Continuity Planning For Contractors

24th August 2021

What is a business continuity plan and how do you write it? With appropriate continuity planning you can protect your business and avoid disaster.

FREE, no obligation insurance health check

3rd December 2020

To receive your free, no obligation insurance health check, please contact us.

How to Become a Self-Employed Electrician

2nd December 2020

What do you need to consider when becoming a self-employed electrician? Explore some of the important considerations including self-employed…

What Does Employers Liability Insurance Cover?

26th November 2020

What Does Employers Liability Insurance Cover? If you’re a subcontractor you may be covered under your employer’s EL policy, but it depends what type…

Existing customers